Ever seen a ripped guy in your gym doing a pull-up where he pulls himself so far up that his whole upper-body is above the bar while you are just struggling to do 5 pull-ups in a row? If you are wondering how he does that, he’s practicing calisthenics. Whether you are a gym freak or a newbie, you’ve likely heard the term ‘Calisthenics’. However, if you don’t know what it is, here is everything you need to know about calisthenics workout for beginners.
What is a calisthenics workout?
Calisthenics workout for beginners comprises exercises that rely only on a person’s body weight and gravity. The term calisthenics comes from two Greek words ‘Kalos’ and ‘Stenos’. Kalos means beauty and stenos means strength. Originally calisthenics workout was a method of promoting strength and beauty in school children. But today these exercises are performed with differing levels of intensity and rhythm. This allows for the development of strength, endurance, flexibility, and coordination.
How does calisthenics workout differ from weight exercise?
Weight exercise requires a person to use dumbbells on other weighed apparatuses to perform strength-training exercises. Calisthenics workout, on the other hand, requires just the person’s own body weight to perform strength training movements. So today, athletes, military personnel, law enforcement officers, and bodybuilders use calisthenics workout to help build up their bodies.
Simple calisthenics workout for beginners:
1. Jump squats workout
- Stand with your body facing forward.
- Then place your feet parallel, directly underneath your shoulders.
- Lower yourself bringing your hips back down while bending your knees.
- Squat as low as possible and then jump forcefully.
- Repeat this 25 times.
2. Push-ups calisthenics workout for beginners
- Lie down on your stomach.
- Next, put your palms on the ground with your arms out at your sides.
- Push your body up until your arms are fully extended.
- Then keep your back and legs straight.
- Slowly lower your body until your nose nearly touches the ground.
- Do 15 reps.
3. Crunches workout
- Lay flat on the ground with your back flat.
- Then place your feet on the ground with your knees bent.
- Keep your hands behind your head and tighten your core.
- Sit up until your chest touches your knees and return back.
- Then focus on your core muscles to pull you up.
- Repeat this 50 times.
4. Lunges calisthenics workout for beginners
- Stand tall with your back straight and keep your feet hip-width apart.
- Then take a step forward with your right leg and shift your weight forward.
- Bend your knees forward while keeping weight in the right heel.
- Next, reel back up to starting position and repeat the same for the other side.
- Do this for 3 sets of 10 reps on each leg.
5. Jump rope calisthenics workout for beginners
- Grab the jump rope handles and hold your hands outwards in the same line of your chest.
- Then rotate the rope with your wrists and jump off the ground clearing the rope.
- The jump must be about one or two inches in the air and your toes must be pointed down and slightly bent in your knees.
- Then repeat this for 30 seconds.
Calisthenics workout for beginners is a great exercise to increase your physical fitness. The best thing is that you don’t need any additional weights, all you need is your body.
Read more: 4 best exercises to improve your sex life.